Todd Bentley in Wales

by Richard on November 23, 2011

Anyone remember Todd Bentley? About 3 years ago he was making a big noise with his ‘revival’ in Florida and was something of a star on GodTV. His ministry was always controversial, what with visitations from angels and his penchant for delivering a healing touch with a kick or a punch, but it went off the rails completely when he took up with one of his staff and divorced his wife.

Now it seems that his ‘ministry’ is in full swing again and will soon be coming to Wales

Todd Bentley and the Fresh Fire team are going to be in the U.K. for the first time in four years. This past summer, while Fresh Fire hosted a thirty day revival in Williamsburg Virginia,the Lord spoke to Todd about hosting seven nights of FIRE. Todd has been praying and asking the Lord for a location to host the event.

Pastor Robert King of Two Locks Church in South Wales invited us to come. During the beginning stages of planning we scheduled four days of meetings, along with other events in the U.K. However, the Lord reminded Todd of the revelation He had given him regarding seven nights of FIRE. So, we asked Pastor King if he would be open to extending the meetings. Pastor King’s response was definitely YES, as he also had felt the Lord impress upon him that the meetings should be extended.

Todd Bentley and the Fresh Fire team believe these meetings are ordained of the Lord and we are asking all to join us as we are expecting an awesome fire of the Lords presence to sweep across Wales and the U.K.

Words fail. Christians in South Wales beware.

Chris H 11.23.11 at 3:49 pm

Bam!

Words fail me too. Almost.

Stuart 11.23.11 at 4:03 pm

He’s a bad man.

Kim 11.23.11 at 5:30 pm

I’ve just been over to the website of Two Locks Church. Here’s the sales pitch:

God is so real, so beautiful and so amazing! We love Him so much and we thank Him for all of His love, grace and many blessings that He so graciously pours out on us. We love you Lord. If you are hungry for a deeper walk with God and are looking for a family and a place to call your home - then Two Locks Church is just for you! We have dynamic praise and worship, anointed preaching and teaching and powerful demonstrations of the Holy Spirit. We aim to be totally dependent upon the Holy Spirit for His leading and guidance as we lead others deeper into the River of God. Where the river flows everything will live.

Or drown.

Paul Martin 11.23.11 at 6:17 pm

Have you got your ticket yet Richard?

Kim 11.23.11 at 6:50 pm

How about bussing in a group of hecklers?

Richard 11.23.11 at 6:55 pm

A part of me is tempted to go. Don’t know if I’ll be driving in time, though.

fatprophet 11.23.11 at 10:22 pm

You could pop along for healing Richard - bam!

Richard 11.23.11 at 11:01 pm

It’s a thought. I’ll bear it in mind ;)

Bene D 11.24.11 at 12:47 am

It would be interesting if you could go and cover this Richard. It’s far more important you heal, and attending a Bentley meeting wouldn’t facilitate that.

I’m not surprised Bentley has been regaining a following, and I’m sorry he’s spreading his harm your side of the pond.

Bene D 11.24.11 at 12:57 am

The seniors at Two Locks ‘manifesting’. This is heartbreaking.

Richard 11.24.11 at 8:11 am

Heartbreaking is one word for it BD.

Tricia 11.24.11 at 2:52 pm

Thank you for the warning that T Bentley is coming to Wales. I hadn’t realised that he was up to his old tricks again - how very, very sad that he is continuing to promote a false gospel and is so deceived.

Chris H 11.24.11 at 6:13 pm

Seems that after Wales he’s heading east to Horsham. Oh joy.

Kim 11.24.11 at 6:37 pm

Horsham? Sounds about right!

Richard 11.24.11 at 9:49 pm

Arf arf!

Paul Martin 11.24.11 at 10:48 pm

That video was barking - but they may be doing that as well! So sad!

Bud Press 11.25.11 at 3:49 am

Todd Bentley’s teachings are dangerous to the spiritual welfare of the believer. You may want to contact your local newspapers and other publications, and post a warning.

There is plenty of free information and articles on Todd Bentley and the Prophetic movement at

Please feel free to make copies of or post anything I write, as the Lord leads.

God bless,
Bud Press

Bentley Watch 11.27.11 at 10:43 pm

We need to come together to pray for protection over Wales, then South East England, so that the false message of Bentley fails to propagate.

Anonymous 11.28.11 at 9:57 pm

You all are hypocrites !

Richard 11.28.11 at 10:21 pm

??

Paul Martin 11.28.11 at 10:51 pm

Anonymouse how about telling us why. And how about having the guts and conviction to desist from the cowardly practice of attacking people who reveal their identity when you hide yours? Have you been at the cheese ?

Tomas 12.01.11 at 1:03 am

The only church worth going to in that area is called Victory Church led by one of Wales is best preachers, a guy called Richard Taylor. A friend of mine attends and they are seeing hundreds come to Christ.

Kim 12.01.11 at 7:03 am

Which Christ?

Richard 12.01.11 at 7:04 am

What is “a church worth going to”, Tomas?

Chris Williams 12.02.11 at 1:41 pm

Chris Williams 12.02.11 at 1:43 pm

Victory Church, Cwmbran is being blessed. Recently went there and on that Sunday morning in October 2011 - 47 were baptized in water (10 just came out of the congregation unplanned) and 11 youngsters accepted the Lord as Saviour.

200 salvations in 12 months.

Something must be right here.

Richard 12.02.11 at 3:13 pm

I’m glad.

Of course, if you go by the numbers Todd Bentley was very blessed too.

Jimmy 12.02.11 at 5:07 pm

Its been interesting reading your discussion. I am one of the drowning (Kim), heartbroken (Bene D), sad (Paul M) people who attends Two Locks church. I have been reading this blog because of the internet comments about Todd Bentley, and I wanted to be prepared.

I have started going to Two Locks at the start of this year after going to a Methodist church for 20 years in Cwmbran. I have been a Methodist for all of my life and 30 years as a member. Up until recently I have been an accredited Local Preacher for 12 years. I list this because of my heritage. For my own reasons I have moved from the Methodist church and have nothing to say to its detriment, but for me I needed to move on further into God. Two Locks gives me this, not just strong preaching but a constant presence of the Holy Spirit. There have been times when I have gone to worship, and have been healed of illness even though no-one has prayed with me, just being in the Holy Spirit’s presence. I have been challenged in my life and have grown in God moreso than I have done in my previous church for a long time. Btw, Kim, the “sales pitch” is true, and genuine people of sincere faith are not drowning, but have found God and life.

Tomas and Chris are right, Victory church is a good church to go to in Cwmbran. I believe God is certainly moving here. Whilst I havent been, a lot of friends have gone here and shared testimonies and good reports of what is happening with them, and I believe them. As has been shared about the people receiving salvation, the same can be said of Two Locks, may be not in hundreds, but certainly in 10s. And the same conclusion, that God is moving at Victory Outreach can be said of Two Locks. I believe God is moving in Cwmbran in different ways, at Victory Outreach Church, at C3, at the Methodist churches, at Two Locks, at the Salvation Army, and probably others as well.

Whilst I do not have the backdrop that several have had on this blog about Todd, I am making my own decisions and attending the meetings.

Whilst you may not agree, there are several FB comments I’ve seen lately that have made me think…… what do you think of http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=306582889371800&set=a.214925175204239.66206.206287232734700&type=3&theater and all the comments associated with this. Where one statement is against what people believe could colour people’s thoughts about the entire organisation.

Also reading a friend’s facebook comments just today……
>Twitter) If your left foot is hurting, stamping on it won’t help. Encourage the whole body of Christ and not just the part that agrees with you
>as somepeople say….the church is sometimes the only army to shoot its own.
>Just because someone doesn’t have the same viewpoint as you on one area, doesn’t mean you should ignore them
>And to the extreme look at what we’ve been reading on Moses, when the Israelites were clearly against them, he still prayed for them, thats grace.

I’ve read your comments, and read your links, and now I’m attending, prepared. Last night there was a movement of God, in people whom I know and trust. I am not interested in Todd Bentley, but I am interested in God moving, healing and changing people’s lives, and last night this happened. There was no slapping, there was some “Bam”ing, and there was also gentleness in praying with some people by Todd. I’m sure you will continue to have your own thoughts on this, but I wanted to share, cos there is another side to your argument.

Bentley Watch 12.03.11 at 7:49 pm

In response to your comment Jimmy, you may say there is another side to the argument, but frankly there are also facts which cannot be ignored as those facts will always be true.

It cannot be denied from doing a simple google search that there is wide press media, which shows clearly Bentley did leave his wife and children to enter into a legal partnership of marriage with another woman. The whole process of divorce and re-marriage in this regard happened over a matter of months, which even by many secular standards is regarded as too quick. It is very clear in Matthew 19 that Jesus’ teaching shows this is nothing less than adultery. Turning to 1 Timothy 3, one is left in no doubt whatsoever that criteria for pastoral leadership does not have any room for those who are committing such offences as adultery. Other parts of the Bible would say likewise. It is fact that adultery damages the body of Christ in tragic ways and that damage does not go away. That is therefore something for God’s church to be concerned about.

Another point to note is that anyone bringing people to the Lord Jesus must bring the message of salvation by which they are are saved through repentance and forgiveness through the blood of Jesus Christ. From that, belief in Jesus Christ as the way, truth and life leads to the point at which one will be able to receive the Holy Spirit. This is indeed what happened in Acts of the Apostles as the church began. Too much emphasis on the latter without the former results in something that is going away from the Gospel. This cannot be denied and it is most certain there is many a preacher/evangelist who claims God has changed many lives through them, yet they are not bringing this true Gospel, often because of the absence or severe lack of of repentance and forgiveness in what they preach and how they lead. If this is also happening at the present time in Two Locks, then there is definitely something to be concerned about.

Jimmy 12.04.11 at 1:54 pm

my initial response is lol. This is not regarding the tone of your response and the seriousness your arguments are justifiably upholding, but the lol, is that whatever way I respond you will undoubtedly have a sincere and justified answer.

I cannot reposte on anything contrary to your first paragraph, and the Bible readings you have shared, but I assume you are “{whatever minister who has divorced, has remarried, and is in a pastoral care} watch” and have therefore circulated your full concern on these individuals as well.

With regards the other paragraph, I totally agree that repentance and forgiveness is the main, 100% I agree. of the 10s I have shared, and based on your comments, I can only assume you were there at Two Locks, that you spoke with the people who have had their lives changed over the last few years, and therefore have come to the conclusion you have. In the same token Victory Outreach have shared the glorious news of salvation, and I have shared a similar testimony of Two Locks, yet you have a totally different view of Two Locks. Whatever!

I have been the last few nights. I have been on my guard, and still am. I have shared with the Pastor that not everything Todd Bentley has spoken I have totally agreed and in some cases I have totally disagreed with it. There are others I totally have agreed. We are called to test what is being said, to meditate on what is being preached. I thank you for your concern, and have gone with a guarded mind and spirit, but I have gone.

The facts that I see and hear are
a) people are being healed, you may counter this - but people I know and trust are being healed and not carried away in any fervour
b) I am being personally challenged to actually talk to people outside of church about Jesus

The sobering thought to me, is how many people have i missed the opportunity to share Jesus with them? Someone who has spent their entire life in church, but has failed to connect with people about someone I believe and stake my life on.

I know you will continue to have major concerns about Todd Bentley and will continue to warn the church. I have listened to your warnings, have gone guarded, and have been challenged. Are you? even if its not Todd challenging, don’t we need the challenge to the church to leave our buildings and to take the precious message of Jesus outside so that it can be heard?

Tony 12.04.11 at 9:26 pm

Jimmy,

I live in England and spent a lot of time in 2008 (the year of the “Lakeland revival”) finding out about Todd Bentley. The evidence was overwhelming that Todd is a fraud, a master of trickery and manipulation who, quite frankly, brings shame on our Lord Jesus. His teachings are unbiblical and his methods deceptive. And I’ve kept an eye on him since and can assure you that he’s no different now. There has been no repentance and no change. He still claims that thousands were healed and saved at Lakeland (they weren’t) and even that people were raised from the dead (lies again).

When the “Lakeland revival” ended abruptly in 2008, the only people left with any credibility were those who had said from the very start that this is all a con. Sadly, most people ignored the warnings and were left devastated and disillusioned when it all fell apart. Remember, after 100 days of the supposedly greatest-ever revival, they could find not a single person who could produce a medically-verified healing testimony of healing - and Todd claimed tens of thousands were being healed.

I don’t bear him any ill, I long for him to truly turn to Jesus, but he doesn’t measure up to the Biblical standards for a minister of the gospel. All I can say is avoid him, and avoid any church that invites him.

Matt 12.05.11 at 10:45 pm

I was brought up in Ebenezer Baptist Church, Cwmbran - or ‘Two Locks’ as everyone called it. Until six years ago I was an active member of the church family, leading worship and working closely with a new Pastor. Then it all went a bit wrong.

I’ve blogged about some of my experiences at seekingchurch.org.uk with comments from the leadership at Two Locks Church.

I believe in healing. My own mother was healed from brain haemorrhage over 20 years ago, and boy did we pray for that. Equally, I have attended funerals of brothers and sisters in Christ for whom we had prayed equally hard. This is the reality of God’s healing and our faith is made stronger when we acknowledge it.

I would not have remained there for as long as I did if the Gospel was not being preached, and I do not doubt that Todd Bentley acknowledges the giver of any healing that takes place. That is not the issue. This is not a black or white ‘cartoon villain’ situation (despite the image that Todd likes to ‘play up to’). It is much more subtle than that.

As for ‘revivals’, before I left Two Locks Church in 2005 there were repeated prophecies that before the year was out the church building would be full to bursting (100s) and the town of Cwmbran would see a huge revival likened to the great Welsh Revival of 1904. Prophecies endorsed by the current leader of the church. These things did not happen. The question I keep asking is a simple one. Who lied?

Tony Buglass 12.05.11 at 11:40 pm

Matt - there is a difference between “who lied?” and “who got it wrong?” I don’t know the actual context of what you describe, but I’ve been involved in a few places where schism and charismatic renewal have gone hand in hand. I suggest a certain amount of what passes for prophecy is actually wishful thinking carried away by enthusiasm, rather than deliberate lying. There is a lo of error in the church and its history, but I get the impression there is more cock-up than conspiracy.

Matt 12.05.11 at 11:56 pm

Tony - Like you I am familiar with schism and charismatic renewal, but that’s not at the root of my question.

If prophecies are a word from God when they come true, what are they when they do not? If they are important enough to base financial, life and health decisions on - as I was taught - then why are those that were plainly wrong swept under the carpet.

The hardest lesson I learned is this: Many others heard those prophecies, saw that nothing happened and kept coming back to have their ears tickled. Over time, I believe this process creates spiritual nomads, thrill junkies and ultimately weakens the faith of those it touches. That is my experience and the effect would seem to be entirely counter to Scripture.

Bull 12.06.11 at 8:24 am

So what is the conclusion?

Does healing and signs’n'wonders, verified or unverified, validate Todd’s gospel?

Or does the gospel that Todd preaches validate the signs and wonders?

Isn’t it really easy to assume that God is doing stuff without checking out Todd’s spoken doctrine? The problem is that we like the experience and absorb what is said, without knowing if it backs up the Bible or contradicts it.

Todd Bentley is a heretic and blasphemer and if he turned up in my church I would personally throw him out … even if my child was sick and needed a miracle or she’d die.

Shalom

Kim 12.06.11 at 11:13 am

About this Two Locks Church …

What about the question of power, its nature, locus, and openness to question and dissent?
The leadership — male headship? What is the status of women?
Is the church inclusive of lesbians and gays?
In relation to other churches, is it ecumenical?
In relation to the people of Israel, is it supersessionist?
In relation to other faiths, is it dialogical?
In relation to the world, deliverance or God’s work in progress?
Does it engage with issues of justice, peace, and ecology?
Are these issues at least discussable, or are they off the table, suggestive of the “unsound”?

Is it all “signs and wonders” and numbers? If it is, Screwtape proposes a toast.

Bull 12.06.11 at 3:32 pm

Oh, my dear Wormwood,

do ensure that your subject is quite deluded as to your true nature. Feed him lots of fables and as long as the rest of the cohort of demons push their foolish imbeciles to fill the coffers, we will all win.

Tomas 12.07.11 at 9:44 pm

Heres the church i was talking about

Anthony Gillard 12.09.11 at 2:02 pm

The meeting was great with a straight full gospel message many got saved even when they went out and preached Jesus on the streets 9 got saved. Many got healed. Todd is a man who speaks of his failures as well as his successes. A man who just follows Jesus

Kim 12.09.11 at 5:34 pm

Hey ho.
“The most outrageous lies that can be invented will find believers if a man only tells them with all his might.”
– Mark Twain
Of course, throwing in the name “Jesus” helps.

Bull 12.16.11 at 8:48 am

No … Todd is a man who is making a great deal of money out of gullible believers.

He is an unrepentant, alcoholic, serial adulterer with a thing for nannies and interns. The leaders who should have handed him over to Satan brushed Todd’s sin under the carpet … because he made lots of money.

Evidence of blessing is not evidence of God’s approval.

When Jesus returns, He will deal with the likes of Bentley.

got the t shirt, done it 02.08.12 at 1:28 am

I attended this church “tlc” when they first began under Mr. Kings leadership. in one year he crammed all false teachings of torronto blessing, not missing anything out. they are a cult that use curses and fear to intimidate naysayers who love the Word of God rightly divided more than the waffle that spues out here! his ministry predided over the suicide of a friend i took there for help, saw me homeless and no help given, despite a plea to leadership, my best friend and family rejected for approaching error in love. if you love to feel good, get carpet time, manifest easily (a symptom by the way, of being carnal (that means being of the senses and not showing true faith without fluffy feelings, manifestations etc.) AND if you like to rely on feelings, visions and “voices” to get you there rather than a road map you can check the voices and manifestations with (bible 4 those still with me!) then you will fit in here fine. but if you discover they are contrary to true bible faith, look out, your card will be marked. i only comment as was wondering if they were still there- YEP deceived and looks like being deceived still……what a delusion for not loving the truth- a church without repentance… sad. claiming to be “Holy” and grace abiding, unlike the “legalistic trouble makers that God’s gonna get!” huh? what happened to love your enemies and pray for them? you’ll actually find more legalistic bondage here than in a jehovas witness’s bethel on audit day. looks good, feels great, sod all to do with rightly dividing the Word of God or checking with it. not much difference here between them and new age humanistic christianity with fear and intimidation. to those who say oh no no no, you got it all wrong fella, get your bible out and reason what they teach you in prayer-dare you! then approach leadership (young converts by the way! warning, warning!) you have been warned!

Bentley Watch 04.16.12 at 10:49 pm

It is unfortunately the case that Mr Bentley is planning to return to our shores. At the time of writing it is declared both on Fresh Fire website and also the hosts’ website that he will be returning to Horsham between the 29th August and the 1st September 2012. The visit is en route from visiting Stavanger, which is situated in one of the most inaccessible parts of Norway by road at least. Therefore here in Europe it is time to pray for protection again.

Bentley Watch 05.19.12 at 10:48 pm

As a further update, it is unfortunately the case that Mr Bentley’s visit to the UK will consitute a number of events, starting in the South East of England after which he will be visiting three more locations including the same venue in Wales in the first half of September 2012. Please do pray for this country.

That said, Mr Bentley is currently stopping off in Korea for another month and postponing his other engagements during that time. However it is not completely clear what is exactly taking place in Korea at the time of writing.

Bentley Watch 07.20.12 at 11:54 pm

It appears that even a month before the next crusade in the UK, the press is now already making a noise about it:

Richard 07.21.12 at 6:57 am

Thanks for the ‘heads up’. Glad that he doesn’t appear to be coming back to Wales this time.

Bentley Watch 08.06.12 at 10:36 pm

The news gets now more interesting, it appears that UK parliament is getting increasingly concerned about the planned visit and border control may be making measures:

According to the website, there is an event on the calendar for 12th-14th September in Wales, hosted again by Twolocks, but no indication of a venue as yet.

Fundy 10.14.12 at 8:16 pm

I grew up in a church with traditional beliefs, and as I grew I had the understanding that what we believed was right and most other churches were wrong (or less right than us). For that reason whenever I went on holiday I would always look for a similar church and would never venture in to anything even slightly different from what I knew. Because of that over time I came to think of any church that wasn’t like mine was so off beam that no self respecting Christian would really be going there unless they were rather deluded. Funny thing was when I began looking for a new church (for reasons unimportant for this message) I found that every church I went to they all had one thing in common - and that was their love of Jesus. I heard women speakers, which was something I would have never entertained before hand, I went to charismatic churches where there was tons of songs and not much preaching. But through all of this I still came away with their love for Jesus and God, and reaching the lost. After those experiences I began realising that what matters is believing in Jesus, letting God be the judge and loving one another. So, fast forward to Todd Bentley and I believe that if God wants to use him then it’s up to God, as for me I will try as hard as I can to love everyone as much as I can and not point the finger at those who don’t do things the way I want them done. If it were down to me and all had to follow me, then I’d be getting much wrong, that’s why I think it’s better to look to God and love others than try point accusing fingers at people. If Twolocks want to have a Todd Bentley meeting, then let them.

Richard 10.15.12 at 1:39 pm

I’d love to be able to agree with you, Fundy. However, this is about much more than simply ‘doing things the way I want them done’. I believe Todd Bentley to be a very dangerous character.

Fundy 10.15.12 at 8:00 pm

Hi Richard, I know what you’re saying, but I’ll have to respectfully disagree. I think everyone should be allowed to have a say on either side of the argument, and obviously the government thought it best to not let him in. From my point of view however I don’t have much of an issue with him coming over here again. Still, in the end it is for much better people than myself to decide these things.

Janice Miller 02.15.13 at 2:52 am

I wonder over how a great evangelist would just divorce his wife claiming about David being delivered from what he did the same as him, but i guess the law and the gospel are diferent… right?