He is gone

by Richard on December 4, 2006

A poem given to me today. It seemed appropriate.

You can shed tears that he is gone,
Or you can smile because he lived,
You can close your eyes and pray that he will come back,
Or you can open your eyes and see all that he has left.

Your heart can be empty because you can’t see him
Or you can be full of the love that you shared,
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember him and only that he is gone
Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on,
You can cry and close your mind be empty and turn your
back,
Or you can do what he would want: smile, open your eyes,
love and go on.
David Harkins

Sarah 12.04.06 at 5:14 pm

Yes. Absolutely. If we can do that, we’ll do him proud, and he will live on in us because we knew him. That surely is the best tribute we can pay, to not let his memory be lost.

franbanks 12.05.06 at 8:14 pm

He is gone and that is so sad. So young, so sincere, so much to live for and to give to this world. I met him only a few times but he impressed me with his gentle ways and easy smile and his uncanny resemblance to my own son. I will remember him forever and pray for his soul to find peace. A rare human being indeed

Angela-Jane Higgs 09.01.09 at 10:41 pm

Thank you for this poem.

I lost my beautiful son aged 19 in May 2009 in a motor cycle accident, he was coming home, doing nothing wrong, if he had survived he would have been a cabbage in a chair, his brain stopped working…….. I am a mum with a broken heart, he was 19 and had his life in front of him. Thank you for your poem, it was read at his funeral, it does not take the pain away, but it is a comfort. x

PoetJames 10.27.10 at 12:03 pm

‘Or you can do what he would want: smile, open your eyes,
love and go on.’

convenient line that takes no effort on the part of the reader. May as well read ‘carry on as normal’

Anonymous 02.24.12 at 5:52 pm