A body discovered inside a dormitory’s locked, high-voltage utility room was identified Tuesday as a 19-year-old Purdue University student who vanished more than two months ago, school officials said.
A maintenance worker investigating a “pinging” sound on Monday discovered the body of Wade Steffey, a freshman who was last seen in the area Jan. 13 after he left a fraternity party. He apparently had been electrocuted.
It is believed Wade attempted to return to the dormitory where he left his coat, tripped, and died instantly when he fell onto a power transformer.
Ivan, I am so sorry, our prayers go out to your family. May God carry you close and be gracious to you, may His strength carry you and His love surround and fill you.
We have the answer now, the big answer, to where our son is,” said Steffey’s mother, Dawn Adams, who said she and her husband had felt before the body’s discovery that their son was dead.
“Now everyone who was praying for us can have a measure of peace,” she said. “This affects so many more people than us. Now there is grief.”